I absolutely love Sloppy Joes, and I love, love, love, Greek food, especially any Greek food that I can slather tzatziki sauce all over! So when I came across this recipe for GREEK Sloppy Joes, I was ready to walk down the aisle! This delightfully delicious and easy recipe came form Chocolate Moosey! Check out the full scoop HERE.
Time to take your taste buds to Greece with these Greek Sloppy Joes made with ground lamb, peperoncini, feta cheese, and a homemade tzatziki (cucumber yogurt) sauce. – Chocolate Moosey
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces ground lamb, thawed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped peperoncini (can sub green bell pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- 3/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt (roughly one 5.3 ounce cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Sloppy Joes:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil.
- When hot, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the lamb, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the oregano, salt, and peperoncini.
- Cook until the lamb just has a little bit of pink left (do not completely cook through).
- Drain the grease.
- Stir in brown sugar, tomato sauce, and ketchup.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens, roughly 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the feta cheese.
- Serve on hamburger buns with tzatziki sauce spooned on top.
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, dill, and garlic powder.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Shepherd Like A Girl!
— Amika & Madison